Tuesday, October 19, 2010

anticipating amazing

We leave for Ethiopia in less than 48 hours. Everyone we know who has been anywhere in Africa tells us that going there was life-changing for them. It is a really strange to anticipate a life-changing event. I know I will be different when I come home, but I don't know exactly how I will be different. What parts of who I am will change? How will my post-Africa self view my current pre-Africa self? Will I ever learn to ask questions that aren't intrinsically egocentric? All of this remains to be seen.

I'm writing about these questions here because I'm not sure what will happen with this blog in the future. No matter what happens in Ethiopia, I am pretty sure I will still love to write when I come back. Still, there's a good chance this will be my last post here for at least a few weeks, so I didn't want to leave ya'll wondering. If you want to follow along on our trip and the ensuing adoption adventures, there's a link to that blog on the side bar.

In the meantime, Xavier Ibarket. (God bless you in Amharic, the national language of Ethiopia)

2 comments:

R.A. said...

I think what Africa taught me is that
Africa
does not need to be saved
by America.

Somehow we're in the delusion that it does. Jesus needs to save Africa. And Africa needs to save Africa. But when I went there I saw an ethnocentric pride in the Americans I was with...and in coming home saw it in the rest of our culture. Africans are not backward. They don't need to learn from us. They're not children. Sometimes politically and human-aid-wise we treat them like they are.

Go in grace and come back changed. Exciting things are on your horizon!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I know it will be an amazing journey:)Praying for you!