Wednesday, April 15, 2009

today is not yesterday


Verrijzenis
(Resurrection) by Paul van Dongen

Like poor little Alexander of children's book fame, I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day yesterday. I mean, it was a real stinker. One of those days where, by the end, you don't even know what you're upset about anymore. Where your state of emotional disintegration goes far beyond what could be considered a reasonable reaction to the present circumstances. Where you feel utterly and completely done: defeated, crumpled, and lying in pieces. Broken.

[I feel the need to stop here and remind my readers that I am a criminally over-dramatic person. Don't freak out - I'm OK now. Really.]

Anyway, this morning I woke up with a crying hangover but very thankful for a new day. As I drove to work I put some Sara Groves on the iPod, and the words were exactly what I needed to hear.

Friend I know your heart is raw
but love is still a worthy cause
Picking up and pressing on
O love is still a worthy cause

So today, though my heart is still raw, I will pick up, press on, love, and be loved. It is a worthy cause.

No comments: