Monday, January 11, 2010

2009

Bits and pieces of life and culture that made me laugh, cry, think, and become more like myself in 2009.

Books: Beyond Deserving, by Dorothy Martyn and There Is No Me Without You, by Melissa Fay Greene


Author Melissa Fay Greene with Ethiopian children

Songs: When The Saints, by Sara Groves and No More Tears, by Sandra McCracken

Art: Forgive Thy Brother, by Scott Erickson



Website: Twitter

Album: Curse Your Branches, by David Bazan


I took this picture on my phone. Great night.

Movies: The Hangover, Up, and Into Great Silence


The Carthusian Monastery featured in Into Great Silence

TV shows: Dexter, Madmen, 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom



Miscellaneous: home-grown raspberry jam, blastocystis hominis, and bittersweet transitions.

4 comments:

R.A. said...

Poor David Bazan. I hope he finds his way back home soon.

Haley said...

I know, right?

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

Haley, I LOVE this post. I've been wanting to do the same thing but didn't because:
a: didn't know what the deadline was to blog about 2009??
b: didn't have time to write lenghty explanations about why the art, etc., meant something to me

What a beautiful job you did with this post. Can I copy you?!?

And the artwork by Scott Erickson - I'm crumbling up with tears and conviction. Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.

thank you, Haley....

Haley said...

Thank you Tamara! Of course you can copy. :) I was held back by those 2 reasons as well, but then I just thought - who cares, *I* really want to remember this stuff and *I* know why it was significant for me so that's a good enough reason to do it. Looking forward to yours!

p.s. Yes, the painting by Scott Erickson had a similar effect on me... which is part of why it now hangs at JKPC. My Bible study meets at a table about 2 feet from it. Needless to say, it took me awhile to be able to concentrate... :)