Thursday, January 21, 2010

playing the game

Nate has a game he likes to play at snack time. He holds up a graham cracker (or multiple graham crackers carefully pressed together), and asks "How many graham crackers do I have?" The goal, of course, is to try to trick the other person into thinking you have one when you actually have more, or vice versa.

Naturally, Dexter has to try to do everything Nate does. Here is a video of Dexter trying to play this game with me.



He knows the basic script, more or less. He knows how to hold his hands, when to keep them still and when to move them. But he clearly has no grasp of the underlying fundamentals of the game.

This feels uncomfortably familiar to me.

Are we like this in our worship? We know the script. We know when to stand, when to kneel, when to sit. Do we have a clue what we are doing? Why it matters? If it matters?

My two-year-old is teaching me:

1. Motions and words ≠ knowledge.
2. Keep watching and imitating.
3. Smile and have fun while you try, even if you're not doing it right.
4. The game gets a lot more fun as you grow into it.

2 comments:

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

ok, so re-reading the Annie Dillard excerpts about worship and this post in the same day was fun! What wasn't fun was that I couldn't get the video clip to play. = (

Haley said...

what's crazy is that i totally had that passage from 'teaching a stone to talk' in my head while i wrote this -- its kinda freakin me out to have someone actually get that... (in a good way.) dang, sorry about the video. :(